Portuguese Nationality by Marriage or Co-Habitation
Portuguese nationality can be acquired through intent, adoption or naturalization
Portuguese Nationality By Marriage Or Co-Habitation
A foreigner who is married for more than three years with a Portuguese national can acquire Portuguese nationality by means of a statement made during marriage.
A foreigner who co-habits with a Portuguese national for more than three years can acquire Portuguese nationality after recognition of this situation in the civil court.
The applicant shall also demonstrate:
- Evidences of effective connection to the national community;
- Has not been convicted of a final decision and res judicata of an offense punishable by a prison sentence equal to or greater than 3 years under Portuguese law;
- Has not have carried out public administrative duties of a non-technical nature in the service of a Foreign State;
- Has not to have served voluntary military service in a Foreign State;
- There is no danger or threat to national security or defense by their involvement in activities related to the practice of terrorism;
Since 2020, after six years of marriage or stable union, the spouse or partner can apply for nationality, even if there are no ties to Portugal.
*** Email Required